Saturday, October 11, 2008

For Dad

How to start this post? I don’t know. I’ve made a few false starts that the delete key was happy to swallow up. So, not even knowing if it’s fair to even burden you with this, I’m just going to come straight out and say it. The truth is it’s been a bad week in my world. The worst. Dad passed away on Monday.

A neighbour of my parents summed it up well when he said it must have been a blessed release. He is right, in the end Dad’s health had deteriorated so much that he had no real life left, and no prospect of any real recovery. The last year had been tough for him and mum, and our family.

Only last Saturday my parents had celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary. I’m sure Dad was still with us enough to be aware of this and I think he was determined to reach this milestone. Then I think he said to himself - enough is enough. Dad reached 89, so life dealt him a fair hand.

I can’t really put in to words how I feel at the moment so I will just leave you with some music. Dad liked piano music of various forms (and, in his earlier years, used to play the piano accordian). There are a few Oscar Peterson albums in his collection and I remember this particular track was one he kept going back to.

Oscar Peterson – Robbins Nest (mp3)
recorded in 1967

from this if you can find it available.

22 comments:

Sandra D said...

So sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine to Alzheimer's at 72, so I know how hard it is to watch a parent's long, painful decline. Knowing he was finally released from his pain didn't make it any easier to lose him.

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Jer.Eps said...

I'm feeling it, Darcy. So sorry to hear of your loss - I hope a few sympathetic words from the blog readers can at least help a tiny bit.

Peace to you and your family.

-j

Anonymous said...

Peace be with him, and in time with you.

davyh said...

You'd been quiet of late and I'd feared the worst. So sorry Darce. Dx

Unknown said...

Please accept my condolences. May God bless you and your family.

Todd Lucas said...

Darcy,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

el said...

Darcy, I am very sorry to hear your dad passed away. I wish you and your loved ones strength & love. About "Robbin's Nest": it's on the playlist from the band I'm in. We played it this very afternoon... From now I will send a thought to your dad when we play the tune.
All the best !

whiteray said...

So sorry to read this, Darcy. Know that the Texas Gal and I send good thoughts your way.

Simon said...

Sorry to hear this. I know what you're going through. As other people have said to me in recent months: it gets easier. It really does.

WZJN said...

I'm so osrry to hear this sad news. May God bless you and your family with strength, unity and constant, happy resurfacing memories of your father.

Your Dad is in my prayers.

WZJN

londonlee said...

So sorry Darcy, I lost mine a couple of years ago so I know how it feels. My old man was a big Oscar Peterson fan too.

manny said...

Sorry to hear about your father...

Ravel said...

And thoughts from Montreal, Quebec, too.

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry to hear about the passing of your father. condolences from asbury park, nj.

Red Kelly said...

My heartfelt condolences, brother.

There are no words.

Darcy said...

My sincere thanks to all for your condolences and kind wishes. I have passed them onto mum too. Though I’m not sure she can fully grasp what a blog is she was touched by your thoughts, which in the end easily transcend such technical things as blogs.
And to those of you who have also lost a parent recently please accept my condolences.

El: that is a lovely thought.

I will be getting back into the swing of things here on Feel It soon I hope.

Anonymous said...

Superb post & blog

Ju Ju said...

So sorry for your loss... I know how you feel.
Thank you for still keeping this wonderful blog..

marmiteboy said...

I'm new to your blog and I'd just like to add my condolences too.

Robert Cass said...

I'm very sorry for your loss, Darcy.

Anonymous said...

My condolences. Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Condolences to you and your family from a blog reader in NYC.