Monday, August 13, 2012

Top flight; still burning bright

*UPDATED*

Here are my two latest acquisitions to drop through the letterbox.

As I opened the mailer there they were, tucked up tight together between two pieces of card: two pieces of vinyl, one containing the sound of Chicago, the other of Detroit - utterly distinctive, both totally irresistible, the perfect marriage.

There was a picture of The Five Stairsteps 45 World of Fantasy here. But I have received a takedown request so the perfect marriage was short-lived I'm afraid. 

The Five Stairsteps –World Of Fantasy 1966

You might have noticed I’ve been overboard on The Five Stairsteps in recent months. The title of this one might be said to aptly describe the state of GB, team and country, this last couple of Olympic weeks.   


Flaming Embers – HeyMama (What'cha Got Good For Daddy) 1967

Flaming Embers were actually a white group keen to emulate the black soul sound of the day, and the sound of Detroit is certainly perfectly formed here. Note the names Clinton and Terry among others in the credits: sure fire marks of quality. (Thanks to Mr Finewine for leading me to this one).   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this band, but I remember seeing these guys on American Bandstand when "Westbound No.9" was out and being shocked that they were white. Really dig this track you've posted.

Thanks,

Ben