Thursday, July 31, 2014

RIP Idris Muhammad 1939-2014

Drummer par excellence who played with many of the greats - one of his early gigs was playing on Fats Domino's Blueberry Hill. I was introduced to him via Could Heaven Ever Be Like This from his 70s jazz-funk days, a glorious, sparkling track. Unfortunately my cherished 45 copy is a bit crackly nowadays.That would have, no doubt, spurred me on to buy his 1978 album Boogie To The Top, not his finest hour I know, but I've always liked the track One With A Star from that album.

Idris Muhammad - One With A Star  1978

His 1974 album Power Of Soul is conspicuous by its absence from my collection, and I really should put that right.     

2 comments:

Stu said...

So many great jams as a sideman as well...Melvin Sparks, Lou Donaldson and Leon Spencer Jr to name a few....RIP

drew said...

Thought you might like to know Darcy, Deep Inside Of You is being re released on 12" but ltd. I have pre-ordered from Piccadilly Records